Saturday, August 29, 2009

#54 Spiced-Chocolate Doughnut at Dynamo Donut

This morning, B and I headed to Dynamo Donut in the Mission for our first breakfast item on the list. Interestingly, though Dynamo has gained renown for the maple-bacon doughnut, the Big Eat list points to the spiced-chocolate doughnut as the one to order (also interestingly, #54 uses both spellings of doughnut—you can tell from my typing which version I prefer). We ordered three doughnuts and two drinks. For beverage, I had a Four Barrel latte (Google taught me that Four Barrel is a coffee-roasting company in the Mission). B had orange juice; good flavor, but pulp-less. Now for the doughnut rundown:

1. The spiced-chocolate doughnut, as B pointed out, is a) not that spiced and b) more like a cake than a doughnut. It went very well with my latte. If you're in the mood for chocolate cake at breakfast, this one's for you.

2. The banana de leche was a modern filled doughnut, gooey on the inside without being overly sweet. Also, the "de leche" is a nice nod to the neighborhood, where there are almost as many signs in Spanish as in English.

3. And now, for the doughnut that reportedly landed Dynamo on the Food Network: the maple bacon apple doughnut. Readers of my other blog will know that I am a big fan of salty and sweet. (Speaking of, saw Fran's caramels for sale near the cash register at Sur la Table in the Ferry Building today!) I also enjoy pork products, and am not able to indulge in them with frequency because of my hog-hating husband. I know that chefs on the Food Network routinely add pork to anything and everything (as Michael Pollan pointed out in his recent article in the NYT, adding bacon is a gimmick that basically guarantees you the win on most of those shows). And I know that it seems particularly weird to add bacon to a doughnut; it seems weird, but it tastes delicious. I'm the kind of person who pours some maple syrup on her French toast, and then pours extra on the bacon that shares the plate. Ergo, this doughnut was made for me. B took one bite, decreed that the bacon didn't add anything special, and left the rest of the doughnut for me. I was happy about that state of affairs! My only critique—and it's a minor one—is that I didn't taste the apple at all.

Well, that's the end of that adventure. Clearly I like doughnuts. Sometimes I like making them, but Dynamo provides a delicious excuse not to. It's a little far away for regular visits, which is probably good for my LDL cholesterol, but I'll be back. Maybe without B, who prefers savory breakfasts.

P.S. Sorry for the lack of pictures! I totally intended to take my camera on our excursion this morning, and, obviously, totally forgot.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm....bacon with maple. Ive had that one and loved it as well. Still cant understand why B cant appreciate the wonders of salty pork.

    Wow! Good to hear that they have Frans caramels at the Ferry Building. I miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. something we must try: the lemon sichuan doughnut.

    ReplyDelete