Tuesday, August 25, 2009

#60 The Brass Monkey at Little Star

I was skeptical when I saw this on the list. B and I have eaten at Little Star many times, and there is no "brass monkey" on the menu. I checked again online. It's not there.

Is it a drink? It sounds like a drink. How could they put A DRINK as the thing to order from Little Star, which has such phenomenal deep dish pizza?

Nope, it turns out that it's like ordering your burger "animal-style" at In-N-Out: the brass monkey is a secret, off-the-menu variation. It's just the Little Star deep dish pizza, our standby favorite featuring spinach, mushroom, and ricotta, with the top-secret addition of sausage. I felt sort of cool and in-the-know when I ordered our take-out on Friday, August 21st.

Unfortunately, I felt less cool and in-the-know when I tasted the pizza itself. The sausage dotted over the pizza came across as superfluous in light of all the other strong flavors. Still delicious, especially when combined with a side of the house salad, but comforting and homey rather than transporting. The best part of the pizza is still the amazingly rich and flavorful tomato sauce. I've heard talk of the crust being better at Zachary's in the East Bay, but haven't eaten there enough to make a direct comparison.

#60 was worth trying. In the future, though, we'll go back to ordering the Little Star pizza straight up, sans brass monkey variation.

(A couple of side-notes: the Divisadero location is cash-only; Little Star is one of the many restaurants we frequent that is closed on Mondays.)

1 comment:

  1. Wish we could get the Little Star, but as you know, my usual eating companion hates one of the key ingredients. We actually think that Little Star is superior to Zachary's, especially after having a disappointing deep dish there last time.

    ReplyDelete