Sunday, September 12, 2010

#30 Burger at Fish & Farm (2010)

I'm not sure what happened to the original #30 (Laughing Buddha cocktail at Cantina from the 2009 list), but I don't really care. First off, I'm not drinking alcohol right now, and second, I'm quite pleased with its replacement! Last weekend, JMc came to visit from sunny San Diego, incidentally bringing the beautiful weather with her, and we headed to Fish & Farm near Union Square to try the burger. We were not disappointed.

There are a number of burgers on the two lists, none of which we had yet tried. B and I really like burgers, but we try to limit our red meat consumption for health and environmental consciousness. Nonetheless, now we're very excited to try #38 Burger and fries at the bar at Spruce, as well as #40 Cheeseburger with sweet potato fries at Taylor's Automatic Refresher (both from 2010). At some point, I think we'll also plan to sneak over to #6 Burger with fries at Slow Club from the 2009 list, though I have to wonder why the 7x7 editors knocked it off the list in favor of some sort of Basil gimlet at Rye for the 2010 version.

But these are all future adventures; I want to focus on the present. JMc and I both ordered the burger, which came piled with secret sauce, grilled onions, and housemade pickles on an Acme roll. A large mound of parsley-tossed French fries completed the plate (as did a weird homemade spicy ketchup that JMc and I both did not enjoy; thankfully the restaurant had normal ketchup readily available).

Notably, the portions are quite large. We'd eaten a lot of appetizers (the gnocchi with smoked ham hock and peas was divine), but both JMc and I only ate half the burger. She saved her half for breakfast the next morning, and B ate my other half. In terms of other entrees, M's halibut was reportedly quite good, as was B's salmon.

I do like a restaurant that focuses on organic and sustainable ingredients, which Fish & Farm does, and I do like a good burger. Once our burger tour of San Francisco is complete, we'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment