Saturday, September 18, 2010

#76 Chicken hash at Ella's (2009 and 2010)

Last weekend, B and I made brunch plans with A&K (and little B). Where to go? It came down to Zazie's or Ella's. However, since B and I had never been to Ella's, that ended up as the winning location. The restaurant is located in Laurel Heights, at the corner of Presidio and California.

A and I both ordered the chicken hash, which comes as a fried mash of potatoes and shredded chicken topped with plenty of green onions and two eggs prepared any style. We both enjoyed our meal, which benefited from the addition of a few shakes from the tabasco bottle. B had the curried cauliflower scramble, which was tasty, but quite strange because the dish doesn't come with eggs (in a dish called a scramble!) unless you ask for them. K had the lemon-hazelnut-ricotta pancakes, which I don't think were his favorite, though I enjoyed my bite of them. Little B slept peacefully through the meal.

Tomorrow we're off to B Star for brunch with B's parents, and A has told us we must try the chicken croquette hash. The comparison should be interesting! Even though we didn't have to wait for a table at all at Ella's, I am a big fan of the fact that B Star takes reservations.

So where should you brunch in San Francisco? My absolute favorite spot is Foreign Cinema, and I think I slightly prefer Zazie's to Ella's. Soon we'll know where B Star fits into the rankings too!

3 comments:

  1. What's the verdict on the chicken croquette hash?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We liked it a lot! However, I think I probably wouldn't order it again, simply because there were so many other things on the menu that I would like to try next time we eat brunch there...maybe with you three?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be great, though there may be four of us by the time you return! :)

    ReplyDelete